Singing flame apparatus, after Schaffgotsch

Acoustics, or phonics, was a field of study that did not developed until the middle of the 19th century. This apparatus, devised by the German Schaffgotsch from Berlin in 1857, belongs to the first of a large group of acoustic instruments purchased by Teylers Museum in the second half of the 19th century. The apparatus has been copied exactly following the instructions in the original publication by the Haarlem firm of Logeman & Funckler. Its operation is simple: air, vibrated by a gas flame, is led through a narrow tube. This causes the air in the tube to resonate, and a tone is produced depending on the dimensions of the tube. In short, the flame starts to ‘sing’.

Administration name

Fysisch Kabinet

Title

Singing flame apparatus, after Schaffgotsch

Translated title

Singing flame apparatus, after Schaffgotsch

Production notes

1860

Material

[{'material': 'Glass'}, {'material': 'brass'}]

Object number

FK 0238