Permanent magnets

Eindhoven Lab. Philips

These permanent magnets were used in the Physical Laboratory of Philips in Eindhoven. Each magnet has a specific property. For example, the cylinder-shaped magnet [236] is an alloy of chromium, nickel and steel, which ensures that the magnetism is retained for a long time. The total weight of this magnet is 420 grams, but it can carry 32 kilogram. The two other magnets [263] have such strong north poles (red) that they can repulse each other so much as to float the upper magnet. Finally, there is a magnet [284] consisting of two rings of permanent-magnetic earthenware (ferroxdure). The magnetic planes repulse each other so strongly as to float a ring. The magnets were donated by prof. dr G.W. Rathenau, director of Philips Physical Laboratory. From 1936 till 1938 he worked in Teylers Physical Laboratory.

Administration name

Fysisch Kabinet

Title

Permanent magnets

Translated title

Permanent magnets

Creator

[{'date_of_birth': u'', 'role': u'', 'qualifier': '', 'date_of_death': u'', 'creator': 'Lab. Philips, Eindhoven'}]

Object number

FK 0284 her