Projection microscope, after George Adams (1771) and George Adams Jr. (1787)

London George Adams

By means of this microscope, an enlarged image of an object can be projected on a screen. It is in fact an improvement of the magic lantern, which was used as from the middle of the seventeenth century and served the same purpose. At the wide end of the projection box is a piece of frosted glass which serves as a projection screen. The objective lens is mounted at the other end, with the preparation holder behind it Transparent as well as opaque objects can be projected. Its maker, George Adams, advised to use, as light source, the new Argand lamp, which gave an intense, clear and steady light due to a good air circulation [See 213]. This projection microscope is accompanied by several extras such as various lenses and preparations.

Administration name

Fysisch Kabinet

Title

Projection microscope, after George Adams (1771) and George Adams Jr. (1787)

Translated title

Projection microscope, after George Adams (1771) and George Adams Jr. (1787)

Creator

[{'date_of_birth': u'', 'role': u'', 'qualifier': '', 'date_of_death': u'', 'creator': 'George Adams, London'}]

Production notes

1789

Material

[{'material': 'brass'}, {'material': 'Glass'}, {'material': 'Mahogany'}]

Object number

FK 0363

Reproduction reference

[{'reference': '..\\images\\Fysisch\\Gekoppelde afbeeldingen\\FK 0363.jpg'}]